So why the Boston and Maine in H0?

I have had a model railway of sorts since my parents gave me a Rovex (Tri-ang) clockwork “00” gauge train set for my fourth Christmas and have modelled sporadically ever since without ever really getting round to building my own layout. More recently I was a member of the local area group of the Scalefour Society. They were the owners of the superb “Pampisford” exhibition layout modelled in P4 fine-scale (76.2:1 on 18.83mm gauge). I spent a good deal of time operating both Pampisford and other members’ layouts at exhibitions. The group had some illustrious members from the British modelling fraternity and I grew used to fine models and impeccable operation. When the group lost its club rooms, its assets were disposed of and, basically, if I wanted to operate a model railway regularly, I needed to build my own.

At that time the standard of British outline ready-to-run models was not good, certainly not up to the standards to which I had become accustomed, especially performance-wise. Even had it been (and to be fair Hornby and Bachmann have made great strides over the past few years) I would have struggled to come to terms once more with the narrow gauge appearance. Going P4 was an option but it would have meant I had to build or modify everything (track and stock) myself and I really do prefer operating to building.

I had heard much about the quality of American models and of course the scale:gauge ratio is correct. I decided to bite the bullet and do something completely different. The Atlas Classic GP-7 that resulted did the trick; it ran superbly and I was hooked. The choice of the Boston and Maine followed closely behind. I was already aware of the attractive maroon and gold locomotives but when two of the first model railroading magazines I bought contained articles by Mike Hamer and Don Janes the decision was made for me - I was going to model the Boston and Maine.

No comments: