The Shed

I am building my layout in a 12ft x 8ft timber shed constructed on the base of an old greenhouse in the back garden of our home. In order to make it as comfortable as possible I packed the frame with 50mm thick "Celotex" foam insulation and boarded it over with 6mm ply. The floor is covered with cushioned vinyl. Electric supply is taken from the house via a new distribution box and lighting is by fluorescent tubes. Switched outlet sockets are scattered around the space.

Unfortunately the green- house was located where it was for good reason and the heat build up over the course of a sunny, summer day overwhelms the insulation. While a small space heater can keep the temperature up in winter and venetian blinds on the windows keep the direct rays of the sun out, I am going to have to look into some form of air conditioning or climate control for the summer months. I also have heat reflecting film to fit to the windows.

I bought basic flat-pack kitchen units from a d.i.y. store to build up my workbench. They cost less than I would have paid for the timber, let alone the hinges and other fittings. As well as the layout, the shed has to store as many of my hobby related belongings as possible, just to leave us enough room to live in the house. There is therefore a set of bookshelves, a filing cabinet and various other storage facilities. Oh and the tv and stereo system!

The photographs show progress as of February 2007.

No comments: