Locomotives

While work on the layout has been progressing so slowly, I have been putting together the locomotive roster I will need to operate the railroad. I have, of course, limited myself solely to the bare minimum number of models I need – and you can believe that if you like.

The Keene Switcher

Arguably the most important locomotive on the layout will be the Keene switcher. As yet I have found no definite information on what type this would have been in 1956. I know the GE 44-tonners were there in the early diesel period and I have seen a photograph of one at Bellows Falls in 1963, so one of these is probably favourite. In fact Keene yard was one of the original assignments for this class. Later on both EMD SW-1’s and SW-8’s were used.


My #118 is a Bachmann Spectrum model and is the later version with a single motor and came DCC-ready. I have installed a TCS MC2 decoder, my first hard-wired installation, which has overcome the skittish behaviour of the locomotive on DC. I had thought some extra weight would be necessary as it is much lighter than any of my other switchers but it has plenty of traction for yard duties. 118 will run silently until I feel ready to tackle a sound installation in such a small loco. The only added detail required is the cab roof mounted two chime air horns and some weathering.

The Ashuelot Branch



Cheshire Road Locomotives



No comments: